Monday, February 04, 2008

So the next Bond movie is to be called Quantum Of Solace. No joke. By the end of the year, lines of devoted fans are going to go up to the usher and say “Two for quantum of solace please”. Daniel Craig has defended the choice “We have gone for a snappier title” … cos that’s how I would obviously describe it. “It comes from the idea that in a relationship, if you don’t have a quantum of solace left in your relationship, then give up. Where Bond is left at the end of the last movie, his heart’s been broken and he doesn’t have that quantum of solace, he doesn’t have that”. Also stupid: nicking the two Bond girls from bad movies … Olga Kurylenko starred, usually scantily clad (or gratuitously nude), in the video game adaptation of Hitman whilst Gemma Arterton recently shot to fame as the star of the god awful St. Trinian’s.

Meanwhile, I never thought I would say this … but big up to Zac Efron, of High School Musical. The Hairspray star has shown remarkable maturity in the face of constant ‘accusations’ of being gay: “Honestly, if the worst these people can say about me is that I’m gay, then I think I’ll be fine. I can handle it.” Refreshingly unhomophobic for a 20-year old Disney kid.

1 comment:

Pat said...

When was the last time a Bond girl was from a good film? OK, I guess Eva Green. But before that, look at the list. Terri F'in Hatcher was a Bond girl. And so was that woman who ended up in the Exorcist prequel (and that was one of the good Bond films!) Even Ursula Andress, arguably the most famous Bond girl, did basically nothing afterward (or before?).

So, yeah, the casting's not any more stupid than it has been in the past. The title raised my eyebrows, but whatever. It's lifted from an Ian Fleming story. If it's good enough for Ian Fleming, it's good enough for me. Which is also my excuse for being a racist.