Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Movie #3459
The Fog
John Carpenter, 1980, USA

How is this a classic? This seminal snooze-fest is about a mysterious volitional precipitation which harbours killer pirates with a vendetta. Yet it’s worse than it sounds. Nothing happens for a really long time. Jamie Lee Curtis has casual sex with a stranger, and lives. My only kick came from the mother-daughter pairing of two iconic horror heroines: Psycho’s Janet Leigh and Halloween’s Jamie Lee Curtis. Only less time is devoted to them than to faux-scares courtesy of radios turning on really loudly. Which is hardly inspired stuff. And this was when Carpenter was supposed to still be good.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Just promise you won't blame it on me because I recommended it to you. I think it was the only horror movie I'd seen and you hadn't. Mostly, I agree with you on it.