Wednesday, March 05, 2008

"Fucking Love Guru" stakes claim on "Fucking Giles" as catch-phrase

When I was 12, I had a crush on Pamela Anderson. This is true. I bought a magazine called EMPIRE, because she was on the front. In some ways this was a turning point in my history of living and breathing cinema. Ten years on, EMPIRE magazine is barely the beacon of critical correctness or Holy Land of Taste that it was when they twice within a year displayed the Barb Wire star's greatest assets on their front cover.

Take for instance their reaction to the Love Guru trailer:



Empire describes this trailer as "pretty dang funny", claiming that the "lot of hints of Austin Powers in tone" is "absolutely no bad thing". But their credibility is surely undermined by a claim such as "there are few things more amusing than very small people being hit in the head" (referring to Verne "Mini-Me" Troyer's appearance as ... well ... a comedic device small person).

See my reaction would be different.

I don't know if it's the lack of a single funny joke, the tired midget humor, the insulting "one time in college" lesbian gag, or worst of all JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE IN TIGHT SPEEDOS, but this is shit. With a capital crap. I am sure Monsieur Myers' total lack of attempt to simulate a realistic accent or aesthetic will be overlooked by about $100M worth of cinema-goers. Fuckers. Meanwhile don't listen to me, cos I just admitted that Pamela Anderson got me into movies.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Pamela Anderson getting you into movies is far more excusable than that. Jeez. And I'm a guy who will stick up for 1.5 Austin Powers movies (the first one and the second one minus Fat Bastard and Mini-Me).